When we are talking about therapies, we are actually talking about a wide subject. It is possible that therapies are referring to a treatment process involving patient’s consciousness and the effort to understand the issue from the psychologist’s point of view. Although therapies are mostly referring to the process in dealing with psychology, therapies can also refer to medical treatments during a recovery stage. That’s why we know the so called physical therapies, which are completely different from the psychological therapies. In this case, we are going to talk more about psychotherapy.
Therapy: What Is It?
Therapy is a healing process – whether it is mentally or physically, depending on the situation. Physical therapies cover aspects that are mostly related to physical beings while psychological therapies are about emotional and mental state.
In general cases, therapies are about a certain negotiated approach between the patient and the qualified expert, such as psychiatrist, psychologist, counselor, or clinical social worker. The therapy itself is an interactive process between the expert with a person, a couple, a family, or even a group. When we are referring to psychotherapy, it is mostly about discussion, communication, and interaction. When we are talking about medical therapies, we are talking about a completely different field.
Types of Therapies
Maybe you don’t know it but therapies cover a lot of different things, such a:
- Brief therapy. It is about one problem and direct intervention. The focus is more about solution based instead of problem oriented.
- Behavioral. The idea is to improve interaction, emotional response, and cognition and to reduce the maladaptive pattern.
- Humanistic. This therapy is based on the belief that there is inherent ability in every human being to maximize their own potential. It emerges in the effect of behaviorism and psychoanalysis.
- Cognitive behavioral. This therapy is designed to recognize the negative and maladaptive beliefs, thoughts, and responses. The idea is to change the negative emotion into a more positive practice and outcome.
- Existential. Whereas humans are social beings, they are also a single entity of the world. The idea is to create isolation to explore more about life meaning and one’s personal value.
- These are just several examples of the various types of therapies. If you want to learn more, you can always browse for more information.
Therapies and Their Benefits
In every way of life, we will always find problems and challenges. The idea is to defeat those challenges through a new type of perspective. And this is the benefits offered by the psychotherapies. The benefits may include:
- The development in ability to cultivate and maintain healthy relationship
- The achievement in getting broader understanding of personal goal and value
- The ability to discover and manage ways or methods to deal with difficulties or stress
- The increased ability in learning and gaining skills in problem solving
For those who have never been involved in any psychotherapy, it would be difficult to determine whether you need to have a therapy or not. But you should always be aware of the earliest sign of problem, and it is crucial that you seek out medical advice and assistance. Your doctor may be able to suggest certain types of therapies to overcome your issue.